The Minutes of the previous meeting April 2015)

MINUTES OF MEETING OF HARDINGTON MANDEVILLE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON 19th MAY 2015 AT 7.30pm
IN THE VILLAGE HALL

Members were reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions - Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status & any disability); Crime & Disorder, Health & Safety and Human Rights.
Nancy Chapman, Parish Clerk

PRESENT

Robin Carpenter, Malcolm White, Andy Webb, Paul Vallis, Gina Seaton (District Councillor) and Cathy Bakewell (District Councillor).

IN ATTENDANCE

Nancy Chapman (Parish Clerk) and 7 members of the public.

Robin Carpenter thanked Vanessa May and Peter Bysouth, who had decided to stand down at the last election, for their dedication to the community over the years. Robin then read a letter from Shirley Heal expressing her thanks for Peter’s 24 years of dedicated service. Peter was then presented with a gift and card from the parish.

Before the meeting commenced there was an opportunity for the public to speak:

On behalf of Moor Lane residents, a parishioner circulated a note that Peter Bysouth had intended to read at the Area South Committee on the 1st April, before the application was deferred. Cathy Bakewell was able to confirm that the application would be deferred until the July meeting if the site meeting does not take place before the June Meeting.

Another resident praised Simon Fox for responding quickly following the on-site drainage meeting and felt that the new proposal addressed the concerns of most. Regarding the three tenure options suggested by Dan trundle of Origin3, his preferred option was for all the affordable homes to be low-cost ownership (70% DOMV). He would still like to see a total of 8 homes on the site.

Another resident commented that at a previous meeting with Robert Archer and Simon Fox present, it had been agreed the 5 bedroom house would be removed, yet this has not been done. Resident’s views on the urbanisation of the site appear to have been disregarded as well.
  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE .
    Apologies were received from Neil Dyer.
  2. COUNCILLORS SIGNING OF DECLARATION OF ACCEPTANCE OF OFFICE.
    The four elected Councillors signed the declaration of acceptance of office.
  3. ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN AND SIGNING OF DECLARATION OF ACCEPTANCE OF OFFICE.
    Robin Carpenter was elected as Chairman and signed the declaration of acceptance of office.
  4. PARISH COUNCIL VACANCIES.
    Bill Turner and Ernest Kong were co-opted to fill two of the vacancies. They signed the declaration of Acceptance of Office and joined the meeting. The Chairman invited others to get in contact for further details if they are interested in the remaining vacancy.
  5. ELECTION OF OFFICERS
    1. Andy Webb was elected as Vice Chairman.
    2. Peter Bysouth was elected as Village Hall Representative.
    3. Nancy Chapman was elected as Messenger Reporter.
    4. Neil Dyer was elected as Highways Representative.
    5. Robin Carpenter was elected as Footpaths Representative.
    6. Ernest Kong was elected as Parish Environment Officer.
  6. MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 21st April 2015 (Already Circulated)
    The minutes were approved and signed by the Chairman as correct records of the meeting.
  7. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST.
    Bill Turner declared an interest in section 10.g and Robin Carpenter declared an interest in section 10.e
  8. MATTERS OF REPORT ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES.
    None
  9. DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS' REPORTS (BY INVITATION)
    Cathy Bakewell thanked everyone for their support over the last four years and said she was pleased to have been re-elected. The first full meeting of Council will take place Thursday when various positions and Area Committee Chairs will be elected. Cathy reported that on the 26th May between 2pm-7.30pm a public consultation is being held at Marion Hall to display the plans for Yeovil hospital’s new 4-storey car park, which will provide 650 spaces.
     
    Gina Seaton also thanked everyone for their support in the election. Two major concerns had arisen in the last weeks; the first related to the news that Westlands Sports & Social Club will be closing – this is a big loss to the town. The second is the news that Brookvale Homes have gone into administration. There are several developments that are still in progress and it is currently unknown what will happen to these. month!
  10. PLANNING AND PLANNING APPLICATIONS
    For item 6a) below Peter Bysouth and Bill Turner left the meeting. Andy Webb acted as Chairman.
    1. There were no applications received after publication of this agenda.
    2. The following result of a previous application was reported:
      App no: 15/00614/FUL The erection of a conservatory to the front elevation of dwelling house at Monks Way, West Coker Hill, West Coker. Applicant: Mr Robert Brittle. Application approved with conditions.
    3. There were no results of previous applications received after publication of this agenda.
    4. A Notification of Appeal Decision was received: App no: 13//03897/COL Application for a lawful development certificate for the existing continued use of building as a single dwelling house at Walnut Tree Farm, Lyatts. Applicant: Mrs Margaret Partridge. This appeal has been dismissed.
    5. Andy Webb read out the letter that Peter Bysouth had intended to read at the Area South Committee on the 1st April, before the application was deferred. He then went on to discuss the three tenure options as given in Origin3’s email. It was viewed that if all the affordable homes provided were low-cost home ownership (70% DOMV), this would most closely match the housing needs as identified in the housing survey. It was agreed the clerk would write a letter to Simon Fox stating this, and also re-iterating that the PC would still prefer the development to consist of 8-10 homes. It was also agreed that the new drainage proposal addressed concerns of local residents.
    6. The Chairman had received reports that a mobile home had been occupied in the field opposite the lay-by on Broad Hill (west of Hill End). The Chairman agreed to draft a letter to SSDC to request an investigation.
      Bill Turner left the meeting:
    7. The Chairman had received a complaint regarding the occupation of mobile homes at Lime Kiln Farm. While the farm does have planning for 2 homes for farm-workers, the complaint was that, whilst one was unoccupied, the other two were currently leased to non-farm workers. The Chairman agreed to draft a letter to SSDC.
      Bill Turner returned to the meeting:
    8. The Clerk reported that SSDC had investigated the PC’s concerns that an additional caravan has been sited at The Stables and were happy that this is line with their planning approval. The occupier of the site has confirmed there are 2 mobile homes and 6 touring caravans on the site. The site has permission for 4 mobile homes and 4 touring caravans. SSDC’s view is that whilst this is not strictly the correct configuration it is the correct overall number and in this case it has been decided that it is not expedient to take action on this occasion.
  11. HIGHWAYS
    1. Neil Dyer’s report included several new potholes. He has also received the “No Parking” sign for erection in the turning head in Bishop’s Lane. The Chairman agreed to erect the sign, after consultation with the owner as the wall at the rear of the turning space is damaged.
    2. The Chairman reported that the white-lining at Holywell Cross has finally been carried out!
  12. PARISH PLAN
    1. The Chairman reported that the defibrillator has now been installed. The training will be provided on Thursday 11th June at 7pm in the Village Hall. All are welcome to attend. A note will be put in the Messenger to advertise this training.
    2. The PC discussed the VHC’s proposal for the Solar Photo-Voltaic system and the new heating system. It was decided that if the PC are to help fund this project, further quotes would need to be acquired. The Chairman and Vice Chairman agreed to help obtain these.
  13. COMMUNITY FIELD
    1. The Gazebo has now been installed. A resolution was passed to pay Matthew Browning 3225.00 for labour and materials to erect the shelter. The Chairman reported that himself and Rob White intended to make benches for seating as this was not included in the quote.
    2. The Chairman reported that he intended to use a spare gate from his garden to install an additional pedestrian gate towards the top left-side of the community field.
  14. RISK MANAGEMENT
    1. There were no current issues.
  15. FINANCE
    1. A resolution was passed to approve the Annual Return and Governance Statement.
    2. The accounts are to be passed to Nick Lunt for Internal Audit at the weekend.
    3. The Clerk’s hours for May (23.5 hours) were confirmed.
    4. A resolution was passed to pay 406.97 to Broker Network Ltd for renewal of the Parish Council Insurance, due 1st June 2015. This premium included cover for an extra 5790 to include the defibrillator and Gazebo. It was agreed to enter another 3 year Long Term Agreement (LTA) with Came & Company in order to reduce premiums by 5%.
    5. It was agreed to postpone the transfer of funds from current account to reserve account until after a decision regarding funding of the Village hall heating system has been made.
    6. A resolution was passed to approve payment of the following:
      SALC membership fee for 2015-2016 ~ 146.66
  16. FOOTPATHS
    1. The Chairman thanked Bill Turner for erecting the pedestrian gate on footpath Y10/9.
    2. The Chairman reported that on the 28th May, a representative from SCC and a solicitor will meet with Ernest Kong to sign an agreement that will officially designate the path between Moor Lane and North Lane as a bridleway. The Chairman gave his thanks to Ernest for this. To mark this event a horse procession will take place led by the Chairman.
  17. PARISH RANGER SCHEME
    1. The Ranger had strimmed quite a few areas on his last visit.
    2. The following new tasks were added to the Ranger’s list:
      • clear the leaves around the Church
      • further digging of the ditch between Moor Lane and the shop.
      • strimming around the grass triangle adjacent to the church.
  18. CORRESPONDENCE
    1. The Chairman reported that the next South Somerset Together Assembly is being held on Friday 22nd May 2015 and that somebody from the PC may wish to attend this if they are available. Gina offered to provide feedback.
    2. The Chairman also highlighted correspondence from “Somerset - you can do” regarding a request for more volunteer drivers. If anyone has any spare time they might like to sign up for this.
  19. MATTERS OF REPORT & ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING
    1. Chairman. Nothing to report.
    2. Councillors: Nothing to report.
    3. Clerk: Nothing to report.
  20. DATE AND TIME OF NEST MEETING & CLOSURE
    The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 16th June 2015 at 7.30 p.m. in the Village Hall. The meeting closed at 9.15pm.